You've got questions, We have answers!

What is the mission of A Father's Place?

Our mission is to engage and empower fathers in the positive support of their children through goal-oriented programs that enable them to find stable employment, practice healthy parenting, and gain hope for the future of their family.

Who can join the program?

A Father's Place seeks to assist fathers in engaging in the lives of their children. Fathers with certain charges and/or histories will not be allowed to enroll. This includes, but is not limited to, fathers with violent charges, child abuse, or sex offenses.

How can you join the program?

A father that is interested in joining A Father's Place needs to set up an initial meeting with staff.  Offices are in Conway, Georgetown and Myrtle Beach.  The Conway office is located at 809 Wright Blvd (Hwy 378). The Georgetown office is located at 1412A Highmarket Street. The Myrtle Beach office is located at 900 Dunbar Street in the Historic Colored School Museum and Education Center. At the initial meeting staff will give an overview of the program and expectations of participants. A background check is conducted. Fathers with criminal domestic violence (cdv) charges will not be allowed to enroll. Further, fathers with other violent charges, child abuse, or sex offenses will not be allowed to enroll.

What is ATI?

ATI or Alternative To Incarceration programs provide the court system and low income fathers with an alternative to incarceration for non-payment of child support. The focus is not to have the father avoid his financial responsibility to his children, but to assist in creating an environment that enables him to do so.

As such, the premise is twofold: one, to connect potential incarcerated fathers with fatherhood programs designed to overcome barriers to appropriate financial and emotional support; and second, to save the state of South Carolina and taxpayers millions of dollars annually by not incarcerating the fathers who seek to reconnect with their families, but instead working with them on issues related to child support, legal issues, visitation and skill training.

Is there a fee?

There is no cost to enroll and anyone who is an enrolled participant may take part in any event, workshop, session, and etc. for free.

What is the difference between a non-custodial parent and a custodial parent?

A custodial parent is the parent who has custody of the child(ren). A non-custodial parent does not have custody of the child(ren).

Is there a mother's place or an agency that serves women and mothers?

There are agencies within our community that serve women and mothers; referrals to outside agencies are available. 

When do the fathers meet as a group?

Myrtle Beach group sessions meet on Monday evenings at 6:30 pm-8:30 pm. 

Conway group sessions meet on Tuesday evenings at 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm.

Georgetown group sessions meet on Tuesday evenings at 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm.

Who may attend your group sessions?

Our sessions are open to all enrolled program participants. Visitors must be approved by the Program Supervisor before attending group sessions.

What is Education Assistance? Will you pay for my education?

A Father's Place does pay for education in specific instances. Further it assists participants with finding opportunities and resources to secure desired education or technical training that will allow them to get a job or to get a better paying job. This includes GED classes, computer training, etc.

What is Employment Assistance? Will you give/get me a job?

A Father’s Place assists participants in finding a job or finding a better paying job. We have a Job Coach on staff to assist participants in all phases of employment including interviewing skills, job retention skills, resume preparation, etc.

Will you make a child support payment for me?

A Father's Place does not make child support payments; however, we assist fathers with information and referrals to ensure child support payments are correct based on current income.

Can the mother of my children make me pay back-child support?

No, the order for child support is mandated by the court. The mother of your children can file for child support and then it' s up to the court to decide whether or not you (or the non- custodial parent) will have to pay child support.

How do I get visitation with my children?

Primarily you would use an attorney if you can afford one, however, A Father's Place has pro se visitation packets available to its participants and can assist in completing the forms. We also host legal workshops to provide education about the legal system.

What does Pro Se mean?

Pro Se means to represent oneself in court without the assistance of an attorney.

Are you attorneys?

No, but A Father’s Place has access through partnerships with attorneys to provide legal education for legal issues.

Where and when can I attend a free, no obligation orientation session?

Weekly orientation is at the following locations:
Monday orientation is at 1412 Highmarket St., Georgetown at 10 a.m.
Tuesday orientation is at 809 Wright Blvd., Conway at 10 a.m.
Wednesday orientation is at 900 Dunbar St., Myrtle Beach at 10 a.m.